Bad Teachers

“You don’t learn stuff from bad teachers, you just learn stuff about bad teachers.”

These are the exact words from a conversation between three boys aged 11-14 today. I know because the conversation took place in my car.

Something to think about?

This entry was posted in About me, Inspiration, Kids, Life, Teaching Ideas. Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Bad Teachers

1. Zalman says:

Hope your ears weren’t burning- I am sure not

“Out of the mouths of Babes”…we have all met specimens of the “wrong sort” in our years at school. But the few Teachermum-types make up for them!

3. Shana says:

I think this is amazing! It just goes to show that our youth do understand teachers and they know how to pick a bad teacher out of a crowd. I wish I could send this to every “bad teacher” I knew, I bet it would open their eyes. Too often I see these “bad teachers” say things such as “oh they’re kids, they don’t know any better” but I’d say that right there is proof that they DO know better. Thanks for sharing!
    Shana

4. Surely they wouldn’t have said it in front of you if that statement applied to you. :o)

Simple words, deep truth. Kids are far wiser than we give them credit for sometimes.

5. LOVE this! Funny how kids can come up with things that are so frighteningly truthful!

I’m a new follower, found you through the blog hop. Looking forward to reading more from you!

6. Becky Jane says:

Ouch! My kids have had a few bad teachers…I can totally agree with that statement!

7. Val @ Mental Chew says:

As a teacher, I always struggle with hearing things like this. I have heard plenty of great teachers called “bad teachers” because they had high expectations for their students and pushed them to push themselves. I am not going to deny that there ARE bad teachers out there, because there are; however, this would invite the question from me, “Why is _____ considered a bad teacher?” or “What qualities make a good teacher?”

Thanks for your comments Val. I totally agree with you about statements of this nature and fortunately I was able to ask them their reasoning behind the statement. Sadly, this time it really had to do with particular teachers screaming most of the time, being rude to students, unfair consequences and the one child felt he had learnt more from his own reading that he does at home but had not actually learnt anything new from being in his “bad” teacher’s class other than to expect to be screamed at. So the boys’ statement in the car centred around teachers showing off their true personalities rather than engaging students. I like to think that I would have questioned their arguments if they were unjustified.
      I agree that good teachers have high expectations for their students and push them to push themselves (in fact I have blogged about expectations a number of times).
      I really do like to believe though that in this day and age, with access to so much information and support, most teachers are not “bad.”

8. Brae says:

Wow. That’s a pretty deep philosophical statement for a bunch of teens. I think I would tend to agree!

Here from VB.

9. Michele says:

Before I started homeschooling my son there was a 3rd/4th grade teacher at his school who was always shrieking about something. I swore to myself that my child would never be in her class. She was very high strung and every student in the class would be disciplined by losing recess or other fun for a couple kids being disruptive. And, a friend of mine’s son who had her as for 2 years never improved in her class. She realized this year that she could not handle it and she quit. She’s in her early 30s so she has time to find out what age level if any she would be better at. Thanks for sharing and I’m stopping by from vB!

10. Kristina says:

That’s a fairly insightful comment coming from someone so young. My ears always prick up when these conversations are overheard – because I’m a teacher myself :) – I always like to know WHY a student believes they have a bad teacher… sometimes the word “bad” is used when it really shouldn’t be.
    Hope things turn out to be not so bad,
    Kristina

11. Kathy says:

I too have always wondered what a kid means when he or she says a teacher is bad. And of course there are always exceptions, but I have found that when they use the word “bad” it usually refers to how the teacher makes them feel about themselves. They yell, or demean or just make the classroom seem unsafe. The statement the kids made seemed very telling to me, and I’m not surprised that you could see where the boys were coming from. Thanks for sharing their observations! I always love to visit your site. You always give me something to think about!! Take care!!!

12. I’ve had my share of bad teachers in my youth, but most of them were great – caring and inspirational. Hi, I’m a new follower to your blog from Digital Parents.