Fits Like A Glove

The right reading book should fit you just like the perfect glove.

I adapted this stunning idea from Melissa and Nicole at Lessonplansos.com when I downloaded their fantastic resource called Rockin’ Reading Workshop from the Teachers Pay Teachers Store.

I immediately charged out to buy my very own pile of gloves (yes…that’s my pile in the picture) and used them to demonstrate a perfect fit to my students. Of course some gloves were too big/ too scratchy/ too floppy/too bulky/ the floral pattern wasn’t right for me… and so I continued until I finally demonstrated my favourite pair of gloves which were the perfect fit for me.

In the same way, when kids select books for independent reading, they need to choose books that are just right for them i.e. books that are a perfect fit just for them.

I also love the idea of the glove, because it is a tremendous fit with the five finger test that I teach kids to use for choosing the right book:

1. Hold out five fingers on your hand.
  2. Read the first page of the book.
  3. Every time you come across a word you cannot read or do not understand, put one finger down.
  4. If you get to the end of the page and all five fingers are down, well then that book is not a good choice for you right now. You may choose to share it with an adult or try it again at a later stage.
  5. If you have no fingers down, the book is probably too easy for you. However, if you are really enjoying the content and it looks like a book that you would love to read, then go for it.
  6. One or two fingers down mean that that book would probably be a great reading choice for you.

My pile of gloves has now been tacked up to the wall as a reminder to choose books that fit like a glove. I love the way the kids have connected with the strategy. Thank you Lessonplansos for sharing!

This entry was posted in Inspiration, Kids, Parenting Tips, Teaching Ideas. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Fits Like A Glove

Your ideas are amazingly innovative – I can just imagine kids in your class responding and blossoming. I cannot help but compare your approach to that I “enjoyed” (!) as a kid…it was more or less being figuratively thrown in the deep end and you had to learn on your own how to “swim” (or read, etc). Keep going – you’re great.

2. M says:

My problem is I need a different glove every few days. My favorite are smart business gloves and scary vampire gloves. Hmmm. actually maybe theyre the same thing

And luckily you have the choice to wear the ones you choose on that day – even if they are scary,vampire-like business ones.

3. What a clever way to get a point across. My daughter is still learning to read and this will certainly help her pick out the books that she will be picking out on her own pretty soon. I’ll definitely keep these tips in mind!

The Smile Conquest Day 81 Mom & Son Day

4. I LOVE it! I’ve been struggling with my 2 sons trying to figure out how to pick a book that is JUST right for them, and honestly your description is the best I’ve ever come across! thank you! I’m going to be using this tonight at reading time. This may just be the trick we’ve been searching for all these years! Thank you!!!

Visiting from Members to Remember via VB

Wish I could take credit for the whole idea….but I can’t. At least I can go ahead and use it and promote it.
      Thanks for your comments.

5. Mary says:

This is a very great strategy and great tips too. It’s helpful in helping students/readers find what kind of books they should be reading. I will keep this in mind when my kids start to read. Thanks for sharing =)

6. Hi Teacher Mum,

I just found your blog on VB and I am following along. I loved this post actually I have been reading several of your posts and really enjoying them. I am a homeschooling mum and I have 6 children 3 who have varying forms of dyslexia. Reading is a challenge but thankfully they are book lovers and persist but it can be tough sledding. One child is too young to read another is discovering 3 letter words and so far shows no signs of her older siblings struggles. Finally there is our Joel, Joel had brain surgery at 4 1/2 due to cancer and has some real cognitive delays but he is a trooper and is slowly putting some sounds together he is 6. I have found your blog a huge encouragement right when I needed it.

Hi Cheryl
      Thank you for your comments. I have looked at your blog and reckon you are one VERY inspirational mum. On top of that, I admire anyone who homeschools. I will now be a keen follower of yours too.
      Looking forward to connecting with you in the blogosphere.

7. Momfever says:

What a great method to determine if a book is right for you!

8. Awesome! What a great idea! With two kids and two different reading abilities, this “test” will be very helpful to us!

Stopping by from VB today. Have a wonderful weekend.

9. Melissa says:

HOW EXCITING!!! We are just thrilled that you are enjoying these lessons! LOVE the gloves! (My just right gloves were yoga gloves!!!) :)

10. Safiyyah says:

I like your teaching style.Its seems as if you are a good tracher.