Which House Do You Choose To Build?

Did you know that as you grow up, you build the house you are going to live in one day?

When I teach students, I like to use the analogy of building a house when viewing the choices they make. When students first begin with some kind of intervention lessons, I ask them what the first thing is that has to be done when we build a house. The answer? We make the foundation.

What would happen if this foundation is not so strong? Well…the house might fall down or begin to crumble. It might even become a bit wobbly. Students often need to attend special ed classes because their foundations in a particular skill are not strong. We discuss the reasons for this, and usually agree that while every child is unique, they are all being taught the same way in the classroom. Maybe, just maybe, the way they are being taught is not their way. Maybe it was not the right way for their brain. So…the foundations are looking a bit shabby and our first goal is to strengthen these foundations.

Continuing on the house analogy, we talk about the “bricks” that each child has been given. It does not really matter in the end which type of bricks you have…it matters what  you choose to do with them. Some kids have been fortunate enough to be given the best quality bricks, but they build “houses” that are not worth being proud of in the end. In the same way, I have seen some fancy, expensive houses which I think are ugly, ostentatious, cold and uncared for. I have also seen kids take the “bricks” they have been dealt and build incredible “houses” with them. Yes…I know – some bricks are top quality and imported and some bricks have chips in them. Some even broke along the way and need to be adapted so they can still be used. In the end, it’s what you choose to do with them that counts.

So, as your teacher I can:

Help you strengthen your foundations – by starting at the right point.

Provide you with the cement – to make sure all the parts can stand together.

Show you how to use some tools – so you can keep them in your kit for when you need them.

Give you keys to open some doors – you can choose to step inside.

Do my best to provide you with some windows that have amazing views of the world behind them – go out and explore them. You might have to take some risks at first, but you can always come back to this great house you are building.

So ultimately, no matter what bricks you have been dealt, it’s up to you which house you choose to build.

Should we get started?

This entry was posted in Inspiration, Kids, Life, Parenting Tips, Resillience, Teaching Ideas. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Which House Do You Choose To Build?

1. Shanda says:

It is what we do with the bricks we are given that counts. However, I think society, especially in the US, wrongly undervalues teachers. For a good teacher can make or break a child and be the difference in what the child does with the bricks. Thank you for valuing children and for working so hard to help them grow.

2. Angelina says:

This is a great post, and not only as a pep talk for children, but teachers and parents as well. Sometimes it helps for us to take a step back and look at our children and assess what “building blocks” are missing in their “foundation” and the “house” they are building. It is up to us to make sure we give them all the right materials and teach them how to put them together in the right order and place to ensure a strong, sturdy and beautifully built house. Just as foremen can’t leave it all up to chance, and still expect to have a well built house, neither can we, as parents/teachers, leave the training and shaping of our children’s lives up to chance.
    –Ang
    (new follower! :-))

3. Kelsey says:

I love this. Such a great philosophy and analogy.

4. TheUrbanMum says:

All of your topics are fabulous. They hit the mark with just the right blend of experience and advice. This one in particular. I speak with my boys about “learning to build with bricks”, especially relevant for my son who has areas of learning difficulties. I will make this post our discussion over dinner tonight. Thank you. I hope it is ok that I tweet this link.

5. Sarah says:

Beautiful! This was the perfect post to read as I gear up for starting the school year on Monday 🙂

6. Lisa K says:

Thank you for all that you do! Love the post- love the blog! Found you through vB. I hope you will stop by and say hi sometime

7. Brenda says:

Wonderful post!
    I am dropping by from VB to become your newest GFC follower. Have a fantastic week! WV Stitcher

8. I really love our analogy here of building a house. Analogies work GREAT to make a point and you’ve done that here. I took it too heart as a parent and a teacher. I’ll bet you are a fabulous teacher! Thank you for sharing this.

I found you through VB and Golden Butterflyz and am following you now.