“Thank You For The Sandwiches”

“Thank you for the sandwiches” said my father into the phone recently.

When my father was a young boy at boarding school, he detested the daily jam sandwiches he was given to take to school for lunch. A school friend called Kenny, not at boarding school but obviously understanding that my father was a long way from home, took it upon himself to bring my father extra meat sandwiches from his own home. Every day. Not so long ago, somebody passed Kenny’s phone number onto my dad. Sixty years later, he was able to pick up the phone and thank Kenny for his sandwiches.

A few weeks ago, when interviewed here for ABC online on what makes a good teacher, I was asked about the inspirational teachers I had at school. (You can find the article here.) . I was able to contact Mrs Visser, (who now lives 16 837km away from me) and send her a link to the article letting her know that she had been my one and only inspirational teacher at school. She sent me a beautiful reply saying, “As you get older you have plenty of opportunity to look over your life and think that you could have done something better or differently and it was so very, very heartwarming to get affirmation of something you actually did right.   Thank you so much.”

I am so glad that I had this golden opportunity to show someone that they had meant something to me. I hope one day, when I am old and grey, that one of my students will contact me. Hopefully they will contact me for the right reasons.

There are so many people in our current  lives who we need to thank and I am sure we do. But is there someone you forgot to thank along the way? Someone from your past who needs affirmation from you?

Perhaps you would like to thank them over here.

This entry was posted in About me, Inspiration, Life. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to “Thank You For The Sandwiches”

1. Camilla says:

I want to thank Helen for letting me sit next to her.

2. Shel says:

Lucky I had more than one good teacher when I was at school. Maybe I should say thank you to my parents for sending me to the right school.

WHAT A HEART-WARMING STORY – WISH I HAD THE OPPORTUNITY OF THANKING SOME PEOPLE IN MY PAST. MORAL OF THE STORY : DON’T WAIT UNTIL IT’S TOO LATE.

4. Kelsey says:

What a great story and an even better reminder. I was fortunate to have quite a few inspirational teachers, but it is a great reminder that I should actually take the time to send a thank you.

5. TheUrbanMum says:

A fabulous post. One that struck a chord as I have a similar story to your father.
    I also attended boarding school. As my parents and sisters lived overseas a wonderful family took it upon themselves to let me stay weekends. My “take-home” cake filled boxes were the envy of all. However it was the caring environment I recall with the greatest affection. As an adult I realise the enormity of their generosity.
    I too had the opportunity to say thank you recently – it felt wonderful.

6. PJL says:

Never thought about this before but the answer came to me quickly. I would like to thank Mr Linden for believing in me. Thanks for the post.

7. anonymous says:

I would like to thank you.

8. Terri says:

This is beautiful. I do have a teacher I need to thank. Thanks for the reminder.

9. Teachermums Dad says:

I phoned Kenny to tell him he was on my daughters blog and learnt that since we last spoke he had to have heart valves
    replaced and a heart bypass. I had to be in Johannesburg for a meeting to-day and made time to visit him.
    It was great renewing our friendship especially as he had fallen on some hard times. A mans got to do what a mans got to do

You were meant to call him Dad. Sounds like he needed your company.
      Glad to be of service.
      Glad you called him when he needed a call from someone.
      Glad you went to visit him.
      Glad to be your daughter.

10. Ms. K says:

Thanks for following my blog :). I followed yours too!

11. Ms. K says:

Thanks for following my blog :). I followed yours too!

I had the best master teacher. She was so upbeat and positive with her students that she made me smile on the inside–even while she had cancer. I was sure she would beat the disease. I am sad to say that a few years into my career I called my master teacher to let her know how I was doing and to say hi–only to discover that she had died of breast cancer. 🙁

I like to believe that she was there somehow, watching you make your call. I like to believe that she knows you called and she could hear what was in your heart.
      I suppose it related to what Gerald said above.
      Glad to connect with you Mrs K.

12. hi there! thanks so much for participating in my wednesday hump days slump day blog hop! Following you on google friend. Please follow back if you don’t already.

13. Amanda Joy says:

I a neat story, forever remembered. I grew up in a family of teachers, and they help me so much now that I have kids of my own:)

Thanks so much for joining our Mingle With Us Blog Hop

Amanda Joy

14. Shana says:

I LOVED this post for many reasons, but one in particular. I had 3 teachers, one in each level of school (elementary, middle, high) who made positive impacts on me that led to my becoming a teacher. The most important teacher was my 4th grade math teacher. Oh, I though she was the meanest most hurtful teacher in the world! I never turned in my homework so recess was never an option. I thought she was this witch, hat and all, and I let her know. She took all my abuse and she loved me. She taught me more about life, responsibility, human growth and math than any other person in my life. Did I mention she loved me? A few years ago a college professor asked us to remember why we became teachers. I remembered my teacher. I found her email address and I emailed her and we talked. She told me how strange of a student I was… I always did my homework, but I never turned it in. She’s retired now, but at least she knows I love her too. And I thank her.

She sounds like she must have been a very special and committed teacher. I am sure you felt just as great as I did getting the opportunity to actually thank her.
      VERY interesting that you actually did your homework but never turned it in. I wonder why…
      Thanks for your comments Shana. I look forward to visiting your blog and connecting with you.

15. Pingback: Digital Parents Blog Carnival – August edition. Woot! | Tina Gray {dot} Me

16. I would like to thank my high school science teach Mr Arnull who when asked “But why”, never said, “don’t worry, you will learn about that next year”. He was a very dedicated teacher, giving time to everyone individually. I will never forget that.

(Visiting from August DP Blog Carnival)

It’s great that you are acknowledging him Laney. Perhaps he will read your comments. How lucky you were to have a science teacher like him.