I have been requested to share some of my teaching strategies at our weekly staff meeting tomorrow afternoon. Now give me a classroom full of kids and I can walk in and deliver. Make me present to a room full of adults and I am almost a blithering mess. I have already had one nightmare about tomorrow afternoon. I’m wondering if I should rush out to K-Mart and invest in some shapewear underwear…
Jokes aside though, I have chosen some of the strategies I feel I am using successfully. I wish there was one strategy that worked for everyone and that every strategy worked well every day. In my last presentation to my colleagues I spoke about strengthening strengths rather than always focusing on weaknesses. That was a year ago so at least I have had time to recover.
My powerpoint presentation is ready, cartoons and graphics included, and I will present the strategies below. Some of them I have already blogged about, for the others, watch this space.
- Transition music
- How to really check your spelling
- Going for Excellence Every time
- Using Keywords – My ‘Check’ strategy
- The Four S’s of Writing
- 3H Comprehension Strategy
- Independent Thinking Skills
- The Value of Silent Reading
- Are Graphic Organisers the solution?
- Sequencing and Summarizing – my favourite strategy
Wish me luck!